The Accessible Information Standard is a legal duty placed on all organisations providing NHS or adult social care. It ensures that people who use our services, patients, service users and their carers and parents as well as members of the public:
- Have access to information in a way they can understand
- Receive any communication support they need.
The Accessible Information Standard tells us how to support people's communication needs, for example by offering support from a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter, deafblind manual interpreter or an advocate. It also ensures that we provide people with information in different formats if they need it, such as large print, braille, easy read or email.As part of the Accessible Information Standard, our Trust and all other organisations providing NHS or adult social care must do five things:
- Ask people if they have any information or communication needs, and find out how to meet their needs.
- Record those needs in a set way.
- Highlight a person's file, so it is clear that they have information or communication needs, and clearly explain how those needs should be met.
- Share information about a person's needs with other NHS and adult social care providers, when they have consent or permission to do so.
- Make sure that people get information in an accessible way and communication support if they need it.
For more information on the Accessible Information Standard, contact:
- Alison Paul, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Advisor
- Telephone: 01925 664 061
Requesting information in a different format
The Trust is in the process of moving to a new Translation and Interpretations Service, DA Languages, where support can be given regarding specialist communication needs. This page will be updated. The latest can also be found on the news feed and communication bulletins. Accessible Information Standard useful links
If you would like to learn more, visit the Accessible Information Standard.Electronic patient record guides
- Accessible Information standard on Paris
- Accessible Information standard on RiO
- Accessible Information standard on IAPTUS
- Accessible Information standard on IAPTUS flowchart
- Accessible Information standard on ELMS
- Communication Needs Assessment Clinical Tool
- Paper based records - Carers/Patients
- Paper based records - Service Users
- You can download a poster that asks service users how staff can communicate better with them
- You can download a poster on how our Trust thinks staff can communicate better with service users